Community Organizer (Health Organizer- Part-time)Alliance of the SouthEast (ASE) Website
Community Organizer (Health Organizer- Part-time)
JOB SUMMARY: ASE is seeking a part-time Health Organizer to organize residents on Chicago’s southeast side around health-related issues. Health organizer would work with residents to develop strategies to address health issues identified by residents, create issue-based leadership teams, and work with community groups to increase collective power of the group. Two health priorities identified by residents: neighborhood violence and trauma, and environmental justice issues.
ASE has a history of working on health issues. ASE has been working to combat environmental racism, and the concentration of toxic developments on the southeast side. ASE is working on policies at city, state, and federal levels. ASE also has a history of addressing neighborhood violence in a holistic way, with residents creating long-term solutions, including addressing trauma through restorative justice practices and alternatives to policing. ASE also worked to increase Covid-19 vaccine access and availability.
The Health Organizer would be part of a team working on health, environmental justice, and neighborhood safety. ASE unites diverse communities on Chicago’s southeast side, majority African American and Latino, to have a voice in the community on social justice issues.
- Perform outreach to organizations (e.g. schools, churches, non-profits, block clubs) and networks to unite residents and local allies around health-related issues. Go door-to-door in specific areas.
- Convene resident and stakeholder strategy meetings on health-related issues they identify
- Coordinate meetings with residents, stakeholders, and decision-makers
- Strategize with community residents, local organizations, and fellow ASE campaign staff
- Other tasks and duties reasonably related to the job responsibilities
- Prepare written reports, meeting summaries, related written materials as they pertain to the work
- HS Diploma or GED.
- Experience in doing community outreach. Previous experience in community/union organizing or working on community issues, desirable
- Interest in or lived experience with public health, violence interruption, environmental issues, and/or health care policy
- Good interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to build relationships with and engage community members, community groups, and potential allies.
- Ability to work independently and be a team player.
- Willingness to perform outreach- to individuals and groups, and speak in front of groups.
- Share our commitment to social, racial, and economic justice, and increasing community leadership and involvement in local issues
- Experience working with diverse populations, especially African Americans and Latinos.Willingness to work in all parts of our service area. Spanish and/ or French language skills a plus.
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and organizational skills.
- Experience with social media engagement or networks, a plus.
- A flexible schedule and ability to work some evening and weekend hours, when needed.
- Cell phone
- Automobile or means to travel to meetings with partners and events
- Basic computer fluency. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
Position is available immediately. Part-time position, 20 hours/week, at $20-25/hour depending on experience. Includes paid travel reimbursement.
How to apply: Please submit cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Amalia, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Health Organizer PT” in the subject line of the email.
Alliance of the SouthEast (ASE) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, disability or any other factor not specifically related to the ability to perform the job at hand. 10/2023