Youth OrganizerAlliance of the SouthEast (ASE) Website
JOB SUMMARY: ASE is seeking an additional full-time Youth Organizer to: co-organize and co-staff its Youth Leadership Council (YLC), working with youth to help them develop and implement their own youth-led campaign/s. ASE unites African American and Latino youth on the SE side to have a voice in the community.
Youth Organizer will provide trainings for youth to take action on priorities they’ve identified, including environmental justice (combating toxic developments, increased City transportation access/service, green new schools), utilizing restorative justice practices, and community building events to engage students and adults.
Recent YLC victories: City’s denial of the General Iron permit (company with history of air pollution violations), Chicago Public Schools adopted recommendations for alternatives for police officers in schools, and $3.2 million reinvested in restorative justice practices in schools. YLC members have hosted their own rallies, done a 500 student signature petition, and organized mutual aid (annual Back-to-School giveaways).
Youth Organizer is part of a team working to ensure youth have a voice in the community on issues that are important to them and affect the southeast side of Chicago.
- Staff weekly Youth Leadership Council meetings, and provide leadership trainings
- Work one on one with youth leaders to build their leadership abilities
- Help youth utilize restorative justice practices, including in their meetings
- Perform outreach to schools, churches, and after-school programs to expand YLC
- Work with youth & local organizations to develop local campaign/s
- Connect YLC members with youth groups doing similar work and provide opportunities for youth participation in community events
- Able to communicate effectively with youth using positive reinforcement and consistency
- Creating a healthy, welcoming environment that supports creativity and sharing different perspectives
- Other tasks and duties reasonably related to the job responsibilities
- Prepare written reports, meeting summaries, related written materials as they pertain to the work
- HS Diploma. Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
- Minimum: 2 years experience in community/union organizing or working on community issues
- Experience in developing and leading organizing campaigns, as well as in identifying/training leaders
- Familiarity with or willingness to be trained in restorative justice practices.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in working with youth and/or students, preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as a team. Ability to problem-solve and make decisions.
- Share our commitment to social, racial, and economic justice, and increasing community leadership and involvement in local issues
- Track record of working with diverse populations, especially African Americans and Latinos.
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and organizational skills.
- Bilingual (English/ Spanish), desirable.
- A flexible schedule and ability to work evening and weekends, as needed. YLC meets weekly, and has met in the evenings or Saturdays. Youth organizers will work with youth to determine best time to meet.
- Cell phone and automobile (with valid U.S. driver’s license and auto insurance)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Docs
Salary & benefits: Full-time salary, commensurate with experience. Health benefits, vacation & paid time off (32 days / year), travel reimbursement.
How to apply: Please submit cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Amalia, at email@example.com, with “Youth Organizer” in the subject line of the email.
Alliance of the SouthEast (ASE) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, disability or any other factor not specifically related to the ability to perform the job at hand. 10-2023