Tenant OrganizerAlliance of the SouthEast (ASE) Website
JOB SUMMARY: ASE is seeking to hire a part-time Tenant Organizer to maintain, grow, and expand tenant organizing. Tenant Organizer would organize tenants in local housing complexes to negotiate with owner, management, and the U.S. Dept. of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) to address health and safety issues, and neighborhood safety issues.
ASE has been working with tenants at a local housing complex for 9 years. Tenants have met with HUD and management. Tenants won: $1.6 million released to fund capital improvements at Germano before the epidemic. The Tenant Organizer would recruit, organize, and train tenant leaders to create a strong collective voice that can improve their conditions and resist displacement.
Tenant organizer would work with tenants to develop strategies to address issues identified by tenants, expand the core group of tenants, and work with other tenant groups to increase power to address issues.
- Perform tenant outreach to expand the leadership team and unite tenants around common issues. Outreach has included: door knocking, phone calls, and tabling/fliering at local events and schools. Outreach may include social media engagement or networks.
- Meet with and strategize with tenants on issues they identify.
- Work with current partners and outreach to potential allies, including other tenant groups and tenant rights organizations
- Coordinate tenant strategy meetings
- Coordinate meetings with tenants and decision-makers
- Other tasks and duties reasonably related to the job responsibilities
- Prepare written reports, meeting summaries, related written materials as they pertain to the work
- HS Diploma or GED.
- Experience in doing community outreach. Previous experience in community/union organizing or working on community issues, desirable
- Good interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to build relationships with and engage community members, community groups, and potential allies.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Willingness to perform outreach, both to individuals and to groups, and speak in front of groups.
- Share our commitment to social, racial, and economic justice, and increasing community leadership and involvement in local issues
- Experience working with diverse populations, especially African Americans and Latinos.
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and organizational skills.
- A flexible schedule and ability to work some evening and weekend hours, when needed.
- Cell phone
- Automobile or means to travel to meetings with partners and events.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Docs
This position is available immediately.
Position: Part-time, 20 hours/week, at $20-25/hour depending on experience.
How to apply: Please submit cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Amalia, at email@example.com, with “Tenant Organizer” in the subject line of the email.
Alliance of the SouthEast (ASE) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, age, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, disability or any other factor not specifically related to the ability to perform the job at hand. 10/2023