Southern California Field Representative
CFA is seeking a field representative (organizer), preferably experienced in the public sector. CFA’s field representatives work with our chapter leadership on campuses to protect and enforce our collective bargaining agreement, to identify, engage, and develop new leaders, and develop stronger chapters through issue-based organizing.
Applicant must be a self-motivated, deadline-oriented individual with the ability to work with people in academia.
Essential Job Duties:
Develops and implements organizing strategies and campaign plans;
Recruits and retains members;
Identifies, recruits and develops faculty to participate in CFA chapter and statewide activities;
· Develops and implements organizing plans for turnout at chapter and statewide events;
· Organizes and facilitates meetings;
· Participates and/ or assists with statewide organizing campaigns, events, and activities;
· Assists with membership recruitment, faculty organizing and political campaigns;
· Supports and promotes CFA’s principles of Anti-Racism/Social Justice Transformation, including intentionally working to infuse anti-racist and social justice values into the everyday work of CFA;
· Files grievances and represents members in grievance and faculty rights meetings, develops MOUs, and assists in meet and confers;
· Develops and maintains productive relationships with CFA officers, members, interns and staff.
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
A strong commitment to advancing racial and social justice transformation in the union movement, the university and beyond;
Skill and experience organizing internal field campaigns (political, contract enforcement, membership, community/labor, and developing member leaders; Skill and experience in strategic thinking, organizational development, campaign development and long term planning;
· Ability to work independently, handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet strict deadlines and numerical goals;
· Working knowledge of organizing practices, including recruitment of non-members;
· Excellent verbal and analytical skills;
· Ability to work collaboratively, creatively, and strategically with CFA officers, members, interns and staff;
· Ability to travel frequently (weekly basis) and work long and irregular hours, including evenings, overnights, and some weekends.
Demonstrated skill, experience and acumen in developing others;
Demonstrated ability to infuse anti-racism and social justice work into the everyday work of CFA;
Demonstrated experience organizing and/or working in strategic campaigns, including creating and implementing organizing and/or strategic plans;
Familiarity working with union officers and member-based committees;
Excellent written, oral communication and public speaking skills;
Previous union organizing experience;
Experience in higher education a plus;
Representation/contract enforcement experience
The successful applicant must be able to traverse college campuses.
Valid driver’s license, an automobile for business use, and proof of minimum insurance coverage.
Ability to lift 25 lbs; subject to reasonable accommodation
Salary/Benefits: CFA offers a fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision, pension and generous paid leave. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement; Salary range is $57,086.31 – $121,671.75 commensurate with experience.
To apply send resume with references to:
CFA is an Affirmative Action Employer.
Women, People of Color/Native People, members of the LGBTQIA community, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
CFA complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org