Jews United for Justice (JUFJ, along with our sister 501(c)4 organization, the JUFJ Campaign Fund) is seeking a Finance Manager to work closely with the Finance & Operations Team and the outsourced accountants and auditors to strengthen and maintain internal financial management and administration. We’re looking for an organized and driven individual who plays a critical role ensuring the organization is running smoothly behind the scenes. This role reports to the Chief Operating Officer. This is a full-time, exempt position that falls within a bargaining unit represented for collective bargaining purposes by a labor organization (NPEU/Local 70, IFPTE).
About Jews United for Justice
Jews United for Justice advances economic, racial, and social justice in the Washington, DC and Maryland region by educating and mobilizing our local Jewish communities to action. We move our region closer to equity and justice by advancing issue-based campaigns that make real, immediate, and concrete improvements in people’s lives and build the power of working-class and poor communities of color. Through these campaigns we develop leaders, build our Jewish grassroots community, shift the consciousness of our community, and build the collective power needed to undo systemic racism and inequality. Learn more about JUFJ.
Finance | Accounting Management
- Work with outsourced-accounting team to oversee daily financial operations to ensure all accounting processes are executed accurately.
- Manage external accounts payable processes, including working with vendors to efficiently process payments.
- Work on grant and revenue management processes and systems, coordinating with the development department to ensure revenue is organized and compliant with all grant, funder, and contract requirements.
- Lead internal expense tracking and processing, while working closely with the Senior Director of Finance & Administration to ensure accurate bookkeeping and reporting.
- Work with internal and external teams to manage monthly reporting; including overseeing and monitoring c4 staff and overhead allocations, including monthly invoicing and payments.
- Oversee the financial administration of the fiscal sponsorship program and partner regrants.
- Manage and process all check deposits received to the DC Office
- Oversee the documentation and administration of grant and contract agreements.
- Develop and enhance internal financial process and procedures documentation.
- Support internal and external teams in management of the annual audits and IRS 990 filing.
Administration | Support financial operations.
- Manage payroll + timesheets and staff questions that pertain to payroll.
- Collaborate in annual goals and budget for the Operations Department.
- Assist with facilities management of our office(s).
- Support and manage outsourced annual state filings to maintain organizational compliance including the following: employment, insurance, business, and tax registrations.
Key Qualifications & Experience
We’re looking for candidates with particular strengths in the following areas:
Finance Experience: Four or more years of experience related to finance and operations, with nonprofit experience preferred.
Detail Oriented: Is highly organized, with strong attention to detail — ensures that even the small things are correct.
Financial Knowledge: Ability to communicate financial concepts to, and effectively collaborate with, programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not have finance backgrounds.
Interpersonal Communication Skills: Possesses excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to correspond, interact, and quickly build trust with members at all levels of an organization.
Project Management Skills: Has excellent problem-solving skills and a strong sense of ownership over tasks, including follow-through, and is willing to be persistent and do what it takes to get the job done. Able to effectively plan and prioritize when faced with competing deadlines.
Self-Starter: Thrives in a fast-paced environment and can manage a high volume of work without sacrificing quality.
Team Player/Supporter: Has a strong orientation toward teamwork and collaboration. Views own work as supporting the whole and integral to the team’s effectiveness. We’re pretty busy here, and your job would be to make things run smoothly.
Technology: Enjoys working with technology and has the appetite and aptitude to learn more about our database, EveryAction (NGP VAN), Asana, Google Suite, Zoom, Zenefits, LastPass, Microsoft Word, and other relevant technology.
Integrity and Discretion: This position involves access to and sensitive use of confidential information. Candidates will have exceptional integrity and discretion to compartmentalize confidential information.
Belief in Mission: Actively demonstrates commitment to the mission of Jews United for Justice.
Compensation: $64,000 – $75,000 per year commensurate with experience
Benefits: JUFJ offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical & dental insurance premiums, 25% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions, short-term disability income protection insurance, public transportation stipend, generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave, $1500 relocation reimbursement stipend, and eligibility for a 3-month sabbatical every seven years of employment.
Location: This is a full-time position based out of JUFJ’s Washington, DC office; the chosen candidate may have the option to work out of our Baltimore, MD office 3-4 days a week with supervisor approval.
At this time, JUFJ staff are operating remotely. Staff may choose to voluntarily work from JUFJ’s offices in DC or Baltimore. Staff will be expected to return to in-office work at the time in which JUFJ finalizes a return to office plan.
JUFJ is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. People of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, and immigrants are particularly encouraged to apply. You do not need to be Jewish. Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 professional references to email@example.com and include Sr. Finance Manager in the subject line.