Senior Research AnalystMajority Action Website
POSITION: Senior Research Analyst
LOCATION: Flexible/Remote. We primarily work on an Eastern time zone schedule with flexibility for other U.S. zones.
REPORTS TO: Research Director
ABOUT MAJORITY ACTION
Majority Action is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering shareholders of all sizes to hold corporations and their leaders accountable to high standards of long-term value creation, corporate governance, and social responsibility.
Our campaigns expose harmful corporate governance and behavior, catalyze investor and public action, and confront the minority who make corporate abuses possible to defend the long-term financial, environmental, and social interests of the majority.
While Majority Action is not a traditional membership-based organization; the team works in close partnership with grassroots organizations. We work together to develop strategies and execute tactics that support everyday people making their power felt in corporate boardrooms. Learn more at www.majorityaction.us.
Majority Action staff collectively believe that transformational change is possible, and that achieving such change requires tenacity, creativity, rigor, and collaboration. We strive to balance strategic pragmatism to advance campaigns with the courage to challenge ideas and systems that undermine sustainability, equity, and inclusion.
OUR TEAM VALUES
- Integrity in our relationships
- Asking hard questions, and adapting based on what we learn
- Excellence in our work
- Nimbleness and strategic flexibility in the face of challenge
- Deep, equitable, and mutually beneficial partnerships
- Working with awareness of and respect for our needs
ABOUT THE ROLE
Majority Action campaigns to transform corporate behavior on climate change, racial justice, and inequality. We do this by weaving together investigative research, institutional investor engagement, strategic communications, and grassroots partnerships into integrated strategic campaigns to hold corporate boards accountable. Our research team investigates corporate misdeeds, sets standards for corporate and investor behavior, assesses companies and investors against those standards, publishes impactful truths to expose the harm caused by large corporations, and informs effective campaign strategies and tactics. Our researchers become our experts on one or more of our core campaign and program areas, currently focused on Climate and Racial Justice, to support and anticipate campaign needs.
In coordination with the Director of Research, the Senior Research Analyst will design and conduct research and analysis projects to support our campaigns, translate that research into compelling, rigorous, and accurate publications for a wide range of audiences, and work across interdisciplinary teams with our legal, investor organizing, grassroots partnerships, and communications experts to execute campaign strategy and tactics.
The position may allow for role specialization based on strengths and interests, along with the opportunity to develop leadership within the team and in project and campaign design. The Senior Research Analyst reports to the Research Director.
- Design and conduct research projects and analysis on campaign issues, corporate strategy and finances, and corporate governance and leadership, to support investor engagement and strategic communications on corporate accountability campaigns
- Write long and short-form publications based on the research, for example research reports, issue briefs, fact sheets, exempt solicitations, and opinion articles for a wide range of audiences including grassroots partners, investors, regulators, allies, policymakers and the media
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise through background research, monitoring trends and developments in relevant industries, and building relationships with other campaign, research and policy organizations
- Partner with organizers, investor engagement, communicators and lawyers to inform, develop, and execute campaign goals and strategy
- Guide the work of research consultants, and in the future, may train and lead the work of junior researchers
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL DEMONSTRATE
- Deep curiosity and a passion for developing rigorous, accurate and powerful research to impact corporate and investor behavior.
- The ability to conduct in-depth research and analysis of companies, investors, and capital markets, corporate strategy and finances, industry trends and drivers, and corporate leadership using internet-based research, corporate filings and financial statements, public records searches and requests, and other public information.
- Excellent analytic skills and the ability to synthesize relevant facts and insights. The ability to manage, organize and interpret qualitative and quantitative data from long or complex documents and datasets.
- Experience developing research and writing products, from initial concept stage to final drafting of research reports, issue briefs, fact sheets, presentations, and other material.
- Strong writing skills, and the ability to communicate complex issues effectively and accurately to a wide range of audiences.
- The ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously, while collaborating effectively with multidisciplinary teams.
- Deep commitment to racial, economic, and climate justice with a demonstrated record of prioritizing racial equity in the development and execution of research projects, strategies, and tactics.
The most competitive candidates will also demonstrate skills and experience in one or more of the following core areas:
- Corporate governance or shareholder engagement, such as familiarity with proxy voting, environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues in the investment arena, including ESG criteria, reporting and disclosures, and sustainable and responsible investing
- Advanced skills in working with data and data tools: such as using SQL, Python, and/or R, and using data analysis strategically to advance campaigns
- Issue specific experience in one of our current campaign focus areas, including climate, racial, and/or economic justice
How To Apply
Provide a cover letter, resumé and two writing or research samples. These could include published reports, articles, internal memos or briefings, well-organized data presentations, spreadsheets, or other analytical products.
COMPENSATION: This is a full-time, Exempt position based anywhere in the US. While we are a fully remote organization, COVID vaccinations are required for in-person meetings and work. The salary for this position is $90,000 annually.
Majority Action is proud to offer the following:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Life insurance
- Long-/short-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- 12 weeks, paid parental leave
- Home office stipend
- 401k Safe Harbor Plan – Employer contributes 3% for all employees
- Professional development opportunities
This is a full-time exempt position. Majority Action is an equal opportunity employer. Majority Action prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law. If you require reasonable accommodations for a disability so that you may participate in the selection process, please email Yanira@majorityact.org.