Communications ManagerProgressNow Website
ProgressNow is a nationwide network of 27 State Partner Affiliates who run year-round strategic campaigns to promote progressive ideas and values and win elections. Each affiliate is a communication, digital outreach and media hub of full-time professionals who work with partner organizations to engage and mobilize diverse communities and activists through cutting edge digital communications and innovative earned and paid media strategies. A core part of the in-state and national progressive infrastructure, together our state network affiliates reach and move millions of voters through data-driven best practices, organic and paid digital content built on decades of experience and research.
ProgressNow facilitates communications and digital organizing tables that align and coordinate a shared message and strategy. From staffing issue coalitions, developing message and communications calendars, training and pitching spokespeople, to developing digital content for partners and coordinating digital ad buys to maximize impact, we organize the progressive community’s communications for maximum impact.
ProgressNow’s national operations are led by its President, Anna Scholl, interim Managing Director Lonnie Scott and a team that includes expertise in communications, organizing, technology, research, and data analysis..
What You’ll Do
The Communications Manager is responsible for coordinating proactive media pitches and coverage of ProgressNow’s work in targeted media outlets and fielding all incoming press inquiries. This includes coordinating with the appropriate national staff or affiliate staff to ensure timely follow up and response. You will maintain a birds eye view of the media inquiries to ProgressNow and ProgressNow affiliates and understand what issues and how corresponding messaging is playing out nationwide. You will ensure affiliates are looped in when media inquiries involve their states or issues that resonate with their electorate and maintain close relationships with affiliates to ensure two-way communications flow.
You will be the point person for ProgressNow’s work on combating election sabotage, working with a coalition of organizations to develop and distribute effective messaging and communications strategies through ProgressNow affiliates and partners.
This is a cycle remote position through January 31, 2025 and reports to the Senior Director of Messaging and Research.
While ProgressNow is an entirely remote organization, DC-based applicants for this role are a plus. The Communications Manager will be required to work Eastern time zone work hours.
- Work closely with affiliates and outside communications strategist to identify state-based and national communications and media opportunities for state staff to amplify our work.
- Serve as ProgressNow’s representative to a coalition of partner organizations combating election sabotage and play a leadership role in crafting and coordinating effective messaging and communications strategies.
- Intake, track and work with appropriate staff – national or affiliate – to respond to media inquiries. Includes crafting responses, providing background information or research to help shape stories.
- Work closely with national teams and state staff to surface trends and media opportunities, and provide guidance on how to best support state teams.
- Provide technical assistance and support to affiliates as they respond to inquiries, providing needed information and data to support their work.
- Assist with proactive stories and interview pitches.
- Assist with any preparation needed for interviews.
Required Experience, Skills, and Qualifications:
- 3-5 years of experience in a political communications shop, including experience dealing with media requests.
- Experience working with reporters to proactively shape the narrative of stories
- Experience translating data, research, and/or public policy issues into narratives using a values-based approach to communications.
- Experience working with staff in multiple states or regions with varying needs a plus
- Customer service orientation – responsive to affiliate requests and proactive in offering assistance
- Well versed in managing both up and sideways to ensure effective communication and collaboration
- Outstanding writing and editing skills
- Critical thinking skills and a resourceful approach to problem solving
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to track multiple projects and remain on deadline
- Existing relationships with reporters a plus
- Ability to travel 2-3 times during the election cycle for conferences and meetings
Because negotiating is inherently inequitable, we want to be transparent about what benefits we can offer up front. The salary for this position is $75,000.
Our benefits package includes:
- Unlimited vacation with a requirement that each staff member take at least 2 weeks each year.
- Eight paid holidays as well as an office closure annually between Christmas and New Year’s Day.
- Employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance
- A 401K plan with 3% employer match
- Annual professional development stipend
*Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (including eligible boosters) is required for employment unless a medical or religious accommodation is granted.
ProgressNow is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, involvement with the criminal justice system, or age.
Research has shown that women and members of historically marginalized groups often only apply to jobs when they feel they meet 100% of the qualifications. We are committed to creating an equitable, inclusive, and diverse organization and we strongly desire applicants with a wide range of experiences and backgrounds: even if you don’t see yourself fully reflected in every qualification listed, we still encourage you to reach out and apply.