Lead OrganizerRestaurant Opportunities Center of DC (ROC-DC) Website
The Restaurant Opportunities Center of DC (ROC-DC) is an affiliate worker center of ROC United that was founded in September 2009 and is dedicated to building power with restaurant workers in order to improve wages and working conditions in the DMV restaurant industry.
We are looking for a dedicated individual who will organize workers to build power and achieve a more just and dignified DC restaurant industry. Under this individual’s mentorship, workers will learn about their workers rights, organize their coworkers, run workplace justice campaigns, be spokespeople for ROC, and become leaders in their community. To strengthen our reach in the community to build stronger campaigns, the Organizer will also build partnerships with a variety of unions and community organizations.
The ROC-DC Organizer will strengthen ROC’s organizing capacity and will focus on: (1) the recruitment, retainment and development of worker leaders, (2) actively supporting workers in moving forward organizing efforts in their workplaces, and (3) assisting in campaign and programmatic needs.
The ROC-DC Organizer will:
- Grow and develop ROC-DC’s worker membership to build a powerful base of restaurant workers by;
- Conducting ongoing outreach to restaurant workers
- Building relationships with members and ensuring proper follow-ups and one-on-ones are being scheduled on a regular basis
- Engaging in organizing strategies and campaigns as needed
- Training members to grow their leadership skills and knowledge of workers rights
- Planning, organizing and facilitating worker meetings and events
- Actively engage and support workers in workplace organizing campaigns
Conduct 1:1’s and legal/organizing intakes with new contacts to provide support for workplace issues in regards to wage theft, discrimination, retaliation, etc
- Provide organizing training and coaching to workers
- Maintain regular communication and relations with workers who are part of organizing campaigns
- Support local programming, coalitions and campaigns
- Support local policy campaign efforts through assisting with actions, outreach, logistics and strategy
- Provide active support to the logistics and outreach of the CHOW DC Job Training program
- Building and maintaining relationships with local community organizations on an as needed basis
- Deep commitment to racial, social, and economic justice and a willingness to work collaboratively with persons of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, socioeconomic status, ages, and sexual orientations
- Minimum of two years of community or labor organizing or base building experience
- Strong written, verbal and listening skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Willingness to travel and work flexible hours
- Self-motivated while working independently or with a team
- Basic computer skills (word processing, spreadsheet & database, electronic communication, social media tools such as Twitter and facebook)
- Ability to build relationships with a diverse set of people and find and learn the unique skills and talents that they could contribute to our programs and campaigns
- Ability to inspire and motivate others
- Familiarity with social media to share messages and engage with new members
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form
- Knowledge of group dynamics and group facilitation
- Capacity to be accountable to our members and other members of ROC’s team
- Creativity and adaptability
- Ability to organize with a commitment to mentoring people to be agents of their own liberation
- Restaurant work experience
- Have a valid driver’s license and access to an operating car with insurance
- Experience with digital organizing and moving people from online to offline action; and
- Knowledge of District politics, workers rights law, layout, and history
- Bilingual in Spanish or Amharic
Working Conditions: At ROC-DC we acknowledge the strenuous capacity that our work entails and are committed to create a collective culture of self-care and community care. As a team we maintain shared values of taking care of one another and keeping each other safe. That being said, we also know that this work does sometimes require long and irregular work hours and occasional work on weekends. We do our best to keep these instances to a minimum but want to ensure that everyone is prepared to be flexible as demands and priorities for a particular campaign or the overall organization shift. You may also be required to travel on occasion.
Compensation: This position falls under a collective bargaining agreement. Generous benefits, including health, vision, and dental coverage, retirement plan, paid vacation, personal days, holidays, and more. Salary range is from $55k-$60k based on experience. Women, immigrants, people of color, and LGBTA+ are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send a cover letter or letter of interest and intent, a resume, and three (3) references to ROC-DC Lead Organizer Sophie Miyoshi at: email@example.com. Please write “ROC-DC Organizer Position” in the subject line of your email.