Union Organizer-in-Training, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MN
Job Category: UUR OIT
Requisition Number: UNION002877
Location: OIT St Paul. MN | St Paul | MN | 55102 | USA
SEIU Union Organizer-In Training, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MN
We are seeking energetic and passionate individuals interested in starting social justice careers in labor organizing.
For 100 years, SEIU has been helping workers stand up for their rights, fighting for dignity, respect and better conditions in workplaces and communities. With a membership 2.1 million strong, SEIU is the fastest-growing union in the United States and our diverse leaders and staff support workers as they speak out for good jobs and better lives for themselves and their families.
The SEIU Organizer-in-Training (OIT) Program is a 12-month training program. As an Organizer-in-Training with the SEIU, you will be assigned to organizing campaigns, trained on the fundamentals of union organizing, and will have the opportunity to learn the skills needed to help workers build power in the workplace.
The OIT program trains labor organizers to assist and empower non-union workers to join unions and is different from other training programs that focus on developing political, electoral or community organizing skills.
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to non-union workers.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers.
- Identifying, recruiting, and developing worker leaders
- Conducting individual and group meetings with workers to move organizing campaigns forward.
- Engaging, motivating, and mobilizing workers to take action.
- Planning and carrying out actions and events to support worker organizing efforts.
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice.
- Ability and willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Ability to spend the majority of the work week out of the office doing work site visits, home visits, canvassing on foot, attending worker strikes and meetings, rallies and other union activities.
- Excellent listening, oral and written communication skills.
- Basic computer literacy and ability to learn the organization’s technology tools.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Willingness to conduct work site and home visits.
- Strong planning, time-management, and problem-solving skills.
- Possession of a valid U.S. driver’s license, proof of auto insurance and an automobile for business use.
- Ability and willingness to travel, as needed. If offered an Organizer-in-Training position, you will be required to relocate to the Twin Cities metro area if you currently do not reside in Saint Paul-Minneapolis, MN. Relocation costs are not covered by SEIU.
- VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: Candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for either a) a certain medical condition(s); or b) on the basis of sincerely held strong religious beliefs and practices.
- Salary and benefits are set by a collective bargaining agreement. The salary is $49,666/annual and benefits include fully employer-paid health benefits package, $570/month car allowance, $60/month cell phone allowance, and other benefits outlined in the policies of SEIU and the staff union contract. This is a full-time, salaried, over-time exempt position.
A resume and cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position, and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer